Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dinosaurs and Trains

Last week we got a couple days of springtime and decided to make the most of it.  It's pretty weird looking back at these photos of  8 days ago when it was in the upper 60's and then looking at the snow outside my window!

The kids and I explored the Eccles Dinosaur Museum and had so much fun learning together about dinosaurs.  I think one of my favorite things about motherhood is that I get to experience the excitement of learning and discovery with my cute kids who are all at such fun ages right now.  They're all old enough to get things and have great questions but young enough to still be thoroughly excited.

The kids loved pretending the huge dinosaur replicas were coming to life.


And they liked reading the plaques about each dinosaur on display - great having all the kids able to read now and really talk about what interests them and what their favorite facts were that they learned.  Most of these dinosaurs actually lived in this area and it was fun to imagine what the world was like back then.

The sunshine felt so wonderful!  I sat on a bench with my face turned to the sun while the kids enjoyed the playground at the museum.  Maybe I've been a bit down because I've been lacking that vitamin D the sun provides.  Wow, does the sun feel good!


Then we wandered down 25th Street, got yummy samples at Great Harvest, and decided to visit all the cool trains at the old train station.  The kids were so full of imagination and excitement as they climbed all over the trains and acted out little plays involving train robberies and train crashes.

I think my great grandpa Howard was watching from Heaven with a smile.  He used to be a train engineer and took great pride in operating massive steam locomotives like the one above.

The kids were so excited when they saw that the "driving room" of the engine was open and it was fun to tell them what little I know about my great grandpa and his trains.  Grandpa Howard would have known just what to do with all those knobs and faucets.


The diesel engines were pretty awesome too.  Plus you could climb up on top of them and pretend you were in one of those movies where people are running around on top of moving trains.


The sun and the fun and the putting aside of work for a while was so wonderful for me.  What a joy it is to be a mother of such fun, curious, imaginative, sweet kids!

4 comments:

Pitterle Postings said...

Looks like a wonderful family time with many, many precious moments.

bjahlstrom said...

Your kids are all of the sudden looking so old and grown-up...all of them! I'm pretty sure that's not what a mother wants to hear, but you seem to be taking great pleasure in this more grown-up stage of all of your children. There are some pictures when an onlooker, like me, who has never met your family in person, would be hard-pressed to tell which kids were older!

Courtney said...

Saren!

First, where in the world is that train station? Is that in downtown Ogden (sadly I don't know areas out side of SLC as well as I should). I'm going to have to plan a little day trip up there because Johnny is SO obsessed with trains. We literally have staked out all the trax stations and on days when the weather's bad we go down to this huge, empty parking lot on 7200 S that's right by trax and we chase the trains in our car!

Second, thank you so much for the kind comment you left on my blog. You are so incredibly busy that I am touched you would take the time to read my crazy ramblings. I know I've been horrible at keeping in touch but I've looked up to you since the day I met you and you really have no idea how much your example has impacted me. I love reading your blog (yes I'm a silent lurker, I always get so self-conscious about leaving comments but I'm going to try to change that). Not only do you inspire me with your insight, talents, and ability to do SO much, but I love how open and real you are about the struggles of life and motherhood as well. It is honestly so refreshing.

I am in awe of what you've done with the power of moms website and I can't wait to come to one of your retreats sometime soon (I'm trying to rearrange my schedule so I can come to the one in May but if not I'll just have to catch another one).

Anyway, sorry for the marathon comment but I just wanted to thank you for your example and kindness. And if your life ever slows down a bit we'd LOVE to see you guys!

Linda said...

I can't believe that we have never seen this stuff. I've heard that Ogden had a terrific dinosaur museum and this looks fantastic. Loved that first picture!

Plus the trains...gosh...Grampa Howard would be proud of you for getting the kids there. We need to get the other cousins there as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails