Enjoy! (and if you missed yesterday's post on sisters, click on over - you won't want to miss it)
1 1/2 cups milk (add little more at the end if the batter is too thick)
1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (cooked mashed pumpkin or canned pumpkin)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 cups all-purpose flour (or one cup white flour, one cup whole wheat flour)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
(optional – add chopped walnuts or pecans)
1. In a bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a separate bowl. Stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot with maple syrup or apple butter.
Makes about 24 pancakes.
Black Bean Soup a.k.a. Ghoul Goulash
(Loosli Traditional Halloween Dinner - and a soup we eat year-round)
4 16 oz cans of black beans (or 8 cups cooked-from-dry black beans - see how to do this here)
2 cups chicken broth
2 small onions or one large one, chopped
2 tsps crushed or minced garlic
2 16 oz jars of chunky salsa (mild, medium or hot – will determine how spicy the soup is – can use 2 15-oz can of petite diced tomatoes and 1-2 cans of diced green chilis instead of salsa if desired, may want to use more onion if not using salsa)
8 tsp lime juice or the juice of 4 limes (optional)
4 tsp ground cumin
½ crushed red pepper (optional – adds heat)
- Place 1 can of beans with liquid from can (or 2 cups of cooked beans and ½ c of liquid they cooked in) as well as the chicken broth in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Coat large sauce pan or soup pot with cooking spray or a bit of olive oil. Heat over high heat and saute onion until tender.
- Add blended bean mixure, remaining un-blended beans (with liquid), salsa, lime juice, cumin and crushed red pepper (if desired). Mix together.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve garnished with plain yogurt or sour cream, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, crumbled totilla chips.
Makes 8-10 servings