Sunday, September 14, 2008

Our Tenth Anniversary

10 years. Wow.

It was Jared's turn to plan our anniversary this year. Lucky him that he got the big one! I offered some none-too-suble hints that I'd sure love something really romantic and creative and sentimental (three things that are not his strong suits) if he could possibly manage it and wow, he sure delivered!

I really didn't know what to expect - Jared kept it all a surprise. We went up to SLC so my sweet parents could watch the kids and also because, as it turned out, SLC figured pretty heavily into Jared's plans.

The night before our actual anniversary (Sept 8th), I made Eliza's wish come true and put on my wedding dress for her and the rest of the kids. She has this bridesmaid's dress I found for her at at thrift shop and after seeing pictures of my wedding as we led up to the anniversary, she begged for us to both put on our "wedding dresses" together. So why not? It was so much fun to dress up with my little girl and she was so very excited about my big fancy dress. I couldn't exactly breathe in my dress - but thanks to the "corset" style top of the dress and Jared's help getting the laces done up the back, everything got squished in somehow and it actually sort of fit!
As Eliza and I came down the stairs in our dresses it was fun to have all the boys perk up and get into the whole thing as well. We decided to take some photos and Jared turned on some great old music like the kind we danced to at our reception so we could have a little family dance. It was so fun to share a little piece of our wedding with the kids in a more interactive way than just looking at pictures.

The next morning, our actual anniversary, we started off with a hike. Jared did a bunch of research (thanks to Google Earth) and found the exact spot where he proposed over 10 years ago. We were in such a quandry over where to go with our relationship and had just pulled off the road up Emigration Canyon near my parent's house and started hiking up a random trail. Then, after kneeling to get some help from the Lord, Jared looked up at me and shocked us both by saying, "I want to marry you!" - and quite suddenly, we were engaged! Neither of us could remember where we'd been since our minds really weren't on our location at the time. But Jared found the spot and it really is a beautiful spot and was so fun to be there again together. We knelt and offered up a prayer to thank the Lord for 10 great years and pray for guidance and support as we move forward. To top it all off, Jared somehow still had the t-shirt he was wearing the day we got engaged and he put that on for the hike. Talk about sentimental. Then we went to lunch up at the top of the Joseph Smith Building - where we had our wedding luncheon back on our wedding day. We wandered around the temple grounds and remembered all the spots where we'd taken pictures and how new and exciting everything was that day. Next, Jared helped me put on my wedding dress again for a horse-drawn carriage ride around SLC. It was so fun! Jared knew I always wished we'd left our reception in a carriage so he made it happen 10 years later! We had lots of people honking and waving and clapping and calling out "congratulations!" and I loved sitting there by my sweetheart, feeling like a bride all over again but loving the "groom" so much more deeply that I did 10 years ago.
We checked into the gorgeous Grand America Hotel and had a wonderful dinner together and Jared presented me with a really beautiful new setting for my diamond - he did such a great job picking out something I so thoroughly liked. Then we capped everything off the next morning by doing some sealings at the Salt Lake Temple and "renewing our vows" while helping those who've gone before become sealed to each other. That was one of my very favorite parts.
Here I am in our suite at Grand America. Hint: if you want a great free upgrade at a hotel, check in in your wedding dress!

What a wonderful anniversary! Jared outdid himself and I'm on cloud nine. Who would have guessed this guy could be such a romantic? I knew he had it in him - somewhere deep inside!

What a beautiful, challenging, exciting, stressful, wondeful, stretching, and enriching ten years we've shared. Wow, there have been hard times. And wow, there have been great times. And wow, there have been a lot of times where we just had to put our heads down and plow on through. Together we've made 5 children, 4 homes, several businesses, many friends and countless wonderful memories. I'm so grateful to be married to such a selfless, smart, kind, adventurous, supportive, worthy, patient, generous man. I'm so excited for all that we'll do together and become together in the years ahead!

9 comments:

Jen H. said...

Wow! You can still fit into your wedding dress. I'm so impressed. I wish I could say the same (mine is very clingy and flowy and sadly lacking in corsets).

Well, really I'm mostly impressed that you took the time to celebrate your anniversary so well. We're coming up on #10 in a few months and I think Chad reads your blog sometimes, so maybe he'll take some inspiration from Jared. Yay Jared!

Linda said...

WOW!! LOVE these pictures! The adventure too was truly amazing! Jared, you are the MAN! Thanks for letting us have fun with the kids while you celebrated.
Love you,
Mom and Dad

bostonshumways said...

way to go Jared!!! Saren, you look as beautiful as you did on your wedding day.

Sleepless In St. George said...

wow....you look amazing...my dress you never fit! Congrats! So impressed with Jared!

Allison said...

Oh wow, Saren! What a wonderful husband to be so romantic and thoughtful! And way to go you...fitting into your dress after 10 years! Impressive! I love how you involved your kids in the fun and showed them what a joy it is to be married. In this world I don't think we can overestimate the good it does to have positive examples about what is right.

Your tribute to Jared was beautiful, too!

eyre blog said...

Saren-you are as gorgeous as ever! What a great idea Jared. These pictures are priceless.

April Perry said...

You've been quite the blogger lately! It's fun to catch up. Jared did a GREAT job planning your anniversary. Ours is coming up in a few months. Maybe I'll email this post to my husband =). I'm so glad you got to have some fun, and you look great in your wedding dress. Congratulations!

Shawni said...

Oh Sar, this looks like it was SO great. I'm so happy that things went so well and that you guys had so much fun. Can't wait to hear chapter two of the anniversary celebration. And this made me want to try on my "gorgeous" wedding dress again. You look gorgeous in yours. Love you.

Linda Loosli Smith said...

Reading the article by Amanda Dixon about buying at Costco, we noticed your last name of Loosli. My maiden name is Loosli. I come from the Edward Samuel line. He was my grandfather. My father was Edward Keith. Just wondering where your husband fits in the Loosli family. My e-mail address is onourown6373@msn.com. Love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails